Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review: The Wolf's Curse by Kevin Parret

The Wolf's Curse by Kevin Parret

Humans know very little about Leprechauns. Very few know the truths behind their gold, their laws, or their magic. Even fewer know that they have been cursed for centuries. This curse has brought upon an enemy that will stop at nothing to taste sweet Leprechaun blood.

Through an unlikely sequence of events, a young boy saves a Leprechaun from a wolf. A friendship is instantly formed, but with dangerous consequences. Join Franky on his journey from being the kid who is bullied by everyone to a kid brave enough to confront a wolf.





Review for Amazon:

5 out of 5 Stars 

It has been years since I have picked up a middle grade book and I have to say, I wasn't disappointed with The Wolf's Curse. It brought back a lot of memories from my childhood. I love Franky and Nicole as characters, they are awesome protagonists. Don is lovable and I really like the morals that are taught in the book. If I was a mother, this would be a  book that I would like to read to my child and I would recommend it for any middle grade teachers. I can't wait to read the sequel and see how Nicole, Franky and Don grow as characters!





Extensive Review (SPOILERS warning) 

 I really liked this book, Parret does an amazing job of pulling you through Ireland and making you love Don and Franky. He also did a good job of making you dislike the antagonists. There were times in the book when I wanted to shake his family by the shoulders and tell them to grow up. I'm curious to see if Rob and him become friends later on. It would be nice for Franky to have a male friend too. 

I was a little unprepared for how this book would take me back to my childhood. The dodge ball scenario basically happened to me too, except I was in fourth grade. Remembering those events was surprising, since I hadn't thought about them in years. Thunder also brought back nostalgia for me. My aunt had a German Shepard and wolf hybrid named Hunter. I loved that dog so much. One of very few dogs I have ever wanted to keep for myself. 

The prologue made me think of a movie that I loved as a kid and would rent it on VHS whenever I could. It was called The Magical Land of the Leprechauns. It was basically a redux of Romeo and Juliet done with Leprechauns and Fairies. I liked the theory that Leprechauns created werewolves and I also like the fact that Leprechauns and fairies live together in harmony.    

I really can't wait to see what happens at Don's trial or the kids getting to see a magical land, they'll get to meet Rose and do so many other things. 
Over all, I was pleased with this story and will recommend it to anyone, adult or child. Please keep writing Kevin!

Sara




2 comments:

  1. Writing this book was the most fun I have had in a long time. It started as a project with my kids and then selfishly turned into an escape from reality for me. I bonded with the characters and actually got to a point where I felt their emotions. I learned about them as I wrote and the story unfolded as if it were written in my head all along. I am not sure if all authors experience that, but it was exhilarating.

    I have delayed the start of a sequel for two months now as I have been trying to get people to read the first one. I have received great feedback from friends, family, and complete strangers. I think I am finally at a point where I am ready to start the sequel. Thank you so much for writing this blog and please let me know when you book is done. I hope to return the favor for you someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I can't wait to read it! I will let you know when I publish the book. :)

      Delete